The Latest in Fair Housing Updates
With the new Fair Housing Regulations going into effect June 20th, and in light of the current climate addressing race within the United States, Fair Housing should be on all REALTORS® radars. In addition to the new regulations that went into effect last week, the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) and the Department of Housing and Development (HUD) met last week to offer additional resources and commitments to help REALTORS® across the country ensure Fair Housing updates and regulations are being met in their everyday real estate work.
Additional commitments and resources that will be included in the NAR’s & HUD campaign include:
- Work closely with State Association Executives to ensure that state licensing laws include effective fair-housing training requirements and hold real estate agents accountable to their fair housing obligations.
- Launch a Public-Service Announcement Campaign that reaffirms NAR’s commitment to fair housing, and how consumers can report problems.
- Integrate fair housing into all REALTOR® conferences and engagements (to include a fair housing theme throughout the May Midyear Meeting).
- Explore the creation of a voluntary self-testing program, in partnership with a fair housing organization, as a resource for brokers and others who want confidential reports on agent practices so they can address problems.
- Create more robust fair housing education, including unconscious-bias training, and education on how the actions of REALTORS® shape communities.
- Conduct a national study to determine what factors motivate discrimination in sales market.
- Profile leaders who exemplify the best fair housing practices and workplace diversity.
- Develop materials to help REALTORS® provide consumers with information on schools that avoids fair housing pitfalls.
To brush up on your fair housing knowledge, and also learn about all the latest updates, visit the NAR’s Fair Housing resource page. To learn more about the Ulster County Board of REALTORS®, and to either become a member or get more information about finding your REALTOR® in Ulster County, learn more on our For Consumers Page.