Buying a Vacation Home in the Hudson Valley
Hudson Valley vacation rentals typically bring to mind a quaint cottage deep enough in the forest to reconnect with nature and disconnect from technology. A spacious lake house with a plethora of fun activities to entertain the kids isn’t a far fetched idea either. Whether you’re a city dweller that seeks to vacation “off the grid” or a large family looking to spend some quality time together outdoors, the Hudson Valley has a great selection of vacation rentals: from rustic log cabins to the luxurious farmhouse.
If you’ve fallen in love with the Hudson Valley and have been there, done that in terms of vacation rentals, you might be at the point where you want to make things a bit more permanent. Buying a vacation home in the Hudson Valley is a great choice. We highly recommend working with a knowledgeable REALTOR® to help guide you in the right direction. Choosing the right vacation home and nailing down the details for the purchase process can feel overwhelming!
So, what should you be looking for in a vacation home? The most important things to consider aren’t so much about checking the integrity of that adorable log cabin property you have your heart set on. It’s looking far into the future and assessing the value of the vacation home and making sure this is the right choice for you. Let’s dive right into it:
- Choose your ideal location: Lakes, farmland in the countryside, or a log cabin in the woods. Pick the flavor that appeals to you most and start doing your research on questions to ask and things to look for when you’re ready to look at houses. Don’t forget to consider the commute from your current home. It might not seem like a big deal if you’re going a few times a year, but this can depend on what season you’ll plan on vacationing in the most.
- Consider the year-round maintenance: Is the home you’re interested in already set up as a vacation home? Is there a current process to winterize it? What would you need to do to maintain the home year round? Consider what the cost will be to maintain the home and the property and factor this into your overall investment. With a home with the Hudson Valley, winters are no joke! Having a realistic plan will go a long way in maintaining your vacation home year-round.
- Research the area thoroughly: When buying a vacation home in the Hudson Valley, you can rest assured that many towns in this area are popular vacation spots. We highly recommend discussing this with your REALTOR® as well, to understand the rental income potential, the market value of the home currently and projections for the future. Airbnb is an easy place to start researching vacation rentals in your area of choice!
- Plan to visit the area a few times: You may have already had the pleasure of vacationing in the Hudson Valley and this might have enticed you into considering your vacation home here. There’s still a lot to be said for planning a few trips to explore the area and what’s important to you in a vacation home. Do you want to be in a secluded area without access to much? Would you like to be close to a cute little town with great places to eat and some entertainment?
- Know your end goal: Are you looking to retire in this area in the future? If not, it will be even more important to know the market value of the home and your investment options going into the property. This will ensure you’re going into this house with your eyes wide open and have the best understanding of how to sell the property down the line.
We’re excited you’re looking into buying a vacation home in the Hudson Valley. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help from an experienced REALTOR® who can help guide you in your search. Best of luck!